View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Advice for college

-Meet lots of people. Don't hold back, the more people you know, the more opportunities there are to do things. What I miss most about college is being around so many people with so few responsibilities. I could almost always find somebody to go eat with, drink with, play Nintendo, play stinky finger with the virgin down the hall or drive half way across the country for no reason.

-Learn to budget your time. If you can do this well, there's no reason you can't do whatever you want, including work 20+ hours, play a sport or party every night.

-Do lots of stupid crap, have fun and be creative. You'll miss it when you enter the real world.

-Skip the occasional class (or day of classes) if you can handle it. I did this often, but kept up with everything. Sometimes you just need a day or week of sitting on the couch with your roommates smoking pot and playing Bond. However, I wouldn't reccomend this right off the bat. First, get the feel of how your classes are going.

-Take electives that interest you. Learning to play raquetball was awesome. My buddy Brian actually got to play D1 hockey for a couple weeks and take the ice vs. Michigan at Joe Lous Arena because one of the assistant coaches knew him from hockey class.

-Join a club sport, best thing I ever did in college. You meet lots of life-long friends, women, stay in shape, lots of road trips & it's good for the resume.

-Don't get yourself into serious money troubles. I have too many friends who built up huge credit card debts or couldn't finish school due to financial issues.

-Do your own work, or at least have people your trust do it for. Don't be like This Girl .