View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Overcalls? X-post from HUSH

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would 97 call and 96 not call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though most players will throw away 97 (especially offsuit) many players will limp with hands like 97s in late position. But even bad players are unlikely to call preflop with big lick, and if they do play it because their juvenile sense of humor tells them it's funny, they'll usually raise with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, LPPs usually don't raise A4 and A2 preflop, and they also don't usually bet flops that they missed. They do what they're supposed to: call down with garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was nothing in OP's original post about reads. With no reads how do you know your opponent will play like this. Perahps your experience is different than mine, but I certainly wouldn't categorize the typical 5/10 6 max. player as the sort of player who will open limp with 96 in lp.

[ QUOTE ]
Except this time hero has major trash on the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

No he doesn't. He has a gutshot and a backdoor flush draw on a flop that is unlikely to have hit anybody who voluntarily entered the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

gutshot+backdoor < 5 outs to win. betting is only for fold equity and i think fold equity is extremely low here with all the backdoor draws possible. that makes betting moronic.

you're right, there are no reads, so assuming a hand range is stupid.

and sb could have completed with any two. i complete with almost any 2 in this situation.