Thread: books on stud
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: books on stud

[ QUOTE ]
If you call on third street but fold on fourth street when you don't make trips, you will be folding on fourth street 95% of the time. You will have put in a bet in each of those hands, and you're not going to win enough in the 5% of the hands where you do trip up to make up for the bets you threw away the other 95% of the time. You won't even come close. I am not saying that it is wrong to call an Ace with pocket Kings. Sometimes it is correct to call, sometimes it is correct to fold, and sometimes it is correct to raise. What I am saying is that West's gameplan in this particular scenario is badly, badly flawed, and that this isn't the only such case in this book. If you need more examples I might be able to accommodate you.

Don't worry. I'm not playing on-line. Apart from my suckout-fest a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been playing on-line at all lately, and I don't anticipate doing so again very soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi AndyB,

First off let me say thanks, highly appreciated. (my online 'folding' comment was because I normally play online while surfing 2+2 and since I only enter with quality + live cards I'm doing a lot of folding) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I understand what you are saying completely if the scenario is split kings because yes, that opponent with Aces if they are a good player will probably fold if you pair your door card King. (I'm assuming)

With Kings in the hole, West's advice has to be right to be right to not only take off fourth street, but if your kings are live to perhaps take it to the river? (I don't know about this one myself, it still seems like an 'uphill' battle to me and personally in fixed limit I could probably check and call it, in PL ... forget it!)

If my logic is flawed (probably is) and you have the time whenever you're not writing your book ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) and wish to point out mistakes in West's book, I'll be very glad to listen.

Cheers,
SDM