Thread: Hi or Hi-Low?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Hi or Hi-Low?

It all depends on what your objectives are. I personally enjoy high-only stud more, but stud/8 is where I make most of my money. While I haven't been playing much at all lately, my local room occasionally has $30/60 stud/8, but hasn't had a stud game over $6/12 in almost two years.

I've played some low-limit on-line, and I have found that the high-only stud games on Stars are easier to beat than the stud/8 games. I think high-only is my strongest game, and the rake is more of a factor in low-limit games there than it is in my local $30/60.

I think that high-only stud requires more skill than any other limit poker game, and one could make a reasonable case that it requires more skill than big-bet games, but I don't care to get into that right now. A skillful stud/8 player can make more money in the right game, however, because many people play this game very badly.

I find Omaha/8 painfully boring as well. I enjoy stud, stud/8, NLHE, Limit HE, draw lowball, pineapple, etc., but Omaha/8 bores me to tears. Sitting around waiting for the nuts just isn't an enjoyable way to spend an evening. Stud and stud/8 aren't like that.

There's no compelling reason you can't play both. You can get 7CS4AP and HLSP4AP, play a little of both, and see if you have a preference. If you have S/S and SS2, you can read the corresponding sections. Or you can just get in there and gamble. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]