View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 12:07 PM

Default A new table construction idea

Currently, I bring a green cloth to our rotating poker game, but I'd like something with a rail and taught cloth and cup-holders. So, I bought one of those ebay tables so I could have something portable and decent. Unfortunately, it is <ul type="square">[*]cheaper construction than I expected, so I can't refelt it. It's just decent.[*]about 4" too long to fit in my car. It's not at all portable. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img][/list]I'm considering spending Good money after Bad, and building a portable table-top. I don't need legs; we can rest it on all those tables we used to cover with cloth. The thing is, I'd really need it to be in THREE pieces. (I've spent $100 proving that half a full-sized table is too long to fit in my backseat or trunk.) I'm envisioning a half-circle, a rectangular, and then another half-circle. Like a circular table with a leaf in the middle.

My leading worry is: Will those seams get in my way? There are gonna be TWO, not in line with the middle seat. (I usually sit in the middle and deal. Sometimes a friend sits directly opposite from me and deals half.) If I'm going to build, I'll use foam and then speed-cloth. How flush do you think they can get? How rounded is that interface?

Another concern is durability. For instance, what's that seam gonna look like withOUT the neighboring table-piece attached? I don't want exposed foam, just because there's no rail.

Whatcha think?
-Sam

P.S. I'm not that experienced at carpentry. If I get too many "Ooh. That sounds hard." comments, I'll probably give up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I actually wondered if making the table in 3 steps might make it easier.