View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: 4-tabling vs 2-tabling

I'm not as adept at multitabling as many of you. Four tables of 3/6 full was a strain for me and I often just played three.

Now that I've moved up to 5/10 6-max I find that two tables are easy while three tables is a strain. I'm working on it and expect to master it eventually.

One big advantage to playing less tables is I almost always have awesome tables. I have time to search and I can afford to cherry pick the very best because I don't need many.

I also find that I have a decent feel for what is going on at each table. I make a special point of watching the 1 or 2 players per table that don't have stats and I also notice players who aren't following their "script". For example, last night I made a lot of extra money because I almost immediately noticed when the big loose/passive fish "adjusted" to me. He started donking my PFRs on the flop and taking stabs heads up on the river. I think most multitabling automatons would have lost some pots before they caught on. But I check a lot of hole cards and I saw some of his flop bets before the first river shot came.

It's really a very personal thing. I need to think more than some players but I get a lot of value out of that thought. Other players are less good but can reproduce their decent play over many tables with little loss of quality. I think of it as video game talent and if it works for them they should do it.

Winning poker players understand and respect their strengths and weaknesses. The worst thing you can do is try to be something you are not.