View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Big Starting Cards, Anna Kornakova, Pascal, and Luck! Doc AZ

Doc, while your advice is interesting regarding three broadway cards on third, many times it is correct to play such hands. If the structure is that of a "big" stud game, you're losing far too much by not playing them in many instances. Not only do they have stealing value on third, but a lot of times they're still correct to play even if you know your behind. Ex. A 30-60 game or up with you holding your friends (AK)Q. A player with a jack in the door raises on your right. You look around and your cards are live. There are also no higher upcards than your queen. If you knew for a fact that he had jacks you would still be playing. Most of the time you would even want to reraise to assure it gets heads-up. While your essay is good I feel I need to point out that you're only a 65-35 dog to a lower pair here with your AKQ, and in higher ante structures its very playable. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) one out of six times you will be dealt a pair in stud. This means a decent portion of the time our AKQ will actually be the best hand, especially after several players have passed. Add in the factor that we could get low and medium pairs to fold if we raise as the first one in and it gets better. Once again, I'm not advising this for a tight structure. I just wanted to point out that such hands are very playable under certain conditions.

[ QUOTE ]
This post was stimulated by my reading a post from a forum member who had an almost identical hand to this one.

As I remember it, not only did he not dump his hand on fourth, he came out betting it!

May God have mercy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you happen to remember the exact post? He could of had good reason to. Unless it was beermoney of course, he'll keep firing with anything just for the hell of it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mike Emery