View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Ring Game or SnG

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting thread. I've played a fair amount of SNG's with good success but just for fun. Now you guys got me wanting to try 4-tabling them again.

I know that it is difficult to quantify but what is the generally agreed upon hourly ROR, say, playing 5 22's per hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is often a subject of much heated debate in the 1-table Tournament forums. From personal experience and numerous posts from the STT forums, a 15-20% ROI is a good rate for the $22s at Party/Empire/etc.

Now, some will claim that 30% is very doable, etc. While I believe that some posters can and do maintain this level of ROI, I believe it is the exception rather than the rule.

While ring games seem to have a higher variance, don't be fooled that there is no variance in SNGs. Runs of 500-1000 SNGs with a losing ROI for known very good players are not that unusual. Dropping 15+ buy ins is not unusual either. I merely post this, due to the fact that such questions get posted frequently in the STT forum and often times the OP gets flamed for asking questions that get asked multiple times a week (e.g. 'I just dropped 19 buy ins over the last week! Is this normal? I thought I was a winning player, but... etc.')

Posting questions about your ROI, whether you are a winnnig player, etc., in the STT without having at least 500-1000 SNGs will generally not be taken too seriously. As in ring games where you really need 50k+ hands to know much, you need a decent sample size of SNGs to make good judgements.

Many of my above comments are pretty basic, but since the question is a fairly basic one I thought I'd cover a few other points as well.

Hope this helps.