View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Where Is This Player\'s Money Going?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless this player has hit upon some new strategy whose mathematic foundations are clearly beyond me, this player is not maximizing his profits from his good hands. If a dollar saved is a dollar earned in poker, then a dollar not won is a dollar lost. If he is losing money, the other players at the table are the beneficiaries. Is there anyway I can increase my share of this money, or is it just a given that the primary beneficiaries are looser players who are able to see more flops with worse hands without being charged big for it and I only benefit indirectly by more money being left in the hands of players who are poorer post-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have begun to play more and more like this as i gain more experience. I believe the money lost preflop can be made up for on the latter rounds buy players who think to them selves "he doesnt have my KQ beat he would have reraised with AK right?" Also you can drop it cheaply when you wiff the flop which is 62% of the time. Let me know what you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to automatically reraise with AK, although there are some situations where it is clearly right to put in another bet. Let's take a inaccurate case that if you don't flop a pair, you never have the best hand and should fold, while if you flop a pair, you always have the best hand and will win. Let us also assume that if you raise, the pot will be size 2x, while if you merely limp in the pot will be size x. If you raise, you win 2x 38% of the time and 0 62% of the time, while if you limp, you win x 38% of the time and 0 62% of the time. If you raise, on average, you win .74x, while if you limp, you only win .38x. Of course, the case is inaccurate. If you raise, you might win the pot preflop by folding, but you also may narrow the field and protect your fair share of the pot.

Failing to raise when appropriate is sort of like failing to bet after you flop a straight with a possible flush draw out there because you want to wait and see if the flush comes before choosing to invest too much money in the pot.