Thread: Liberals
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Liberals

[ QUOTE ]
another great post, but i was hoping to hear it from a liberal [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't particularly think Felix knows what he's talking about. A perfect example was his rant on SCOTUS and the marijuana ruling as it pertains to the commerce clause. What he neglected to mention was that the biggest originalist on the bench (Scalia) voted in favor of the federal government's right to prosecute the grower's co-op. Kennedy, a usual state's rights advocate joined him as well. Moreover, SCOTUS could hardly be considered liberal. 5 of the justices were appointed by republicans (although as Felix did, they will always accuse some of these justices of somehow being liberal plants (wtf?)). But in truth, one could call SCOTUS a pretty evenly divided body, with Scalia, Thomas, Rhenquist, and Kennedy usually coming down on the conservative side of the bench.

Personally, I'm extremely sick of conservatives shouting judicial activism at the first sign of a ruling they don't believe is correct. As one of my lawyer buddies put it: "When they rule the way you want, it's a great piece of jurisprudence. When they don't...its judicial activism."

Personally, I'm afraid of some of Bush's nominees because I don't think he's looking for judges that wouldn't be judicial activists. I think he's looking for precisely the type of judge that would legislate from the bench...just so long as they do it for conservatives.