View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Doyle\'s Win More Impressive Than His Two Championships

Hi David - I'm in Vegas now.
busted out 200th out of 1010 in the $3k event today.

when I arrived I saw some of the tables for the 6-max event. Didn't stop to watch...just saw a crowd and swung by to take a gander.
Think they had 3 or 4 tables left....and the field looked to be VERY impressive.

Men, Scotty, Jesus, Layne, Doyle, and a couple others I'm forgetting.
These are no push-overs.

I was playing a WSOP single-table satellite towards the 'front'. In the back I think they were down to one table and there were occasionally some decent ovations.
I immediately thought, "That sounds like a Doyle-ovation" as he's obviously a fan-fave.

I didn't know he won the event until earlier today when it was mentioned at my table.

I was sitting next to Huck Seed who seemed legitimately impressed.

Anyway - having seen a few of the tables and the big-name players he was up against I think I tend to agree with your assessment.
That looked like a pretty freaking tough field to me.

I wasn't around for the earlier days...but today's extremely intelligent players like Lederer, Ivey, Ferguson, Greenstein etc...many with mathematics backgrounds like yourself...just have to be so much sharper than the 1970's players who didn't have that kind of knowledge.

Other gossip overheard at the table - McEvoy told Seed that Phil Ivey thought he was good enough to win 30 bracelets in his career. McEvoy scoffed at such egotism and Seed kind of laughed too.
I found it pretty interesting. McEvoy seemed to act like Ivey had told him this directly.

Isn't Ivey playing FEWER events these days??

Doyle's 10th bracelet just blows my mind though.

Also - I have learned in my very first WSOP event that sitting right in-between two champs is NOT the most ideal of situations.

While my experience is still VERY limited I think I got a taste of what it's like to go up against a couple good players who know what they're doing.
They just wouldn't let me get my feet moving.

The difference between these guys and the less experienced players is VERY noticeable.
I think I have a better understanding the significance of Doyle grinding his way through an entire field of bracelet winners and experienced players like that.

It's just not very freaking easy.