View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Why not Limit Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't protect your hand at all. Try playing QQ in the first few levels of a limits SnG, it never ends well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. When people say things like this it makes me immediately think they don't understand the fundamentals of poker. It is only slightly more annoying than, "I can't beat all the fish at the lowest limits. I better move up in limits so I can play against better players."

Why are so many NL players afraid to play post-flop? Yes, it is true that you can't give your opponent exactly the pot odds you wish to, but it doesn't mean you don't have ways to protect your hand.

Speaking of protecting your hand. Have you tried to protect your QQ hand in the early stages of an $11-33 NL SnG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that all of the chasers are +EV for me in the long run in limit but here is my argument. NL is all about implied odds. I get get more value (2x my stack) out of QQ with far less risk in NL than in limit at the lower level SnGs. People are willing (and able) to put in larger bets with worse odds in NL, plain and simple. On a flop of 3 unders, I can be almost positive that I have the best hand (heads up on the flop) and almost every NL donk is willing to move in with top pair (or worse). In limit I get 5 callers with 3 unders and anything is possible, depending on the level I may not even be able to double my stack for this added risk. Less possible gain from way more risk.