View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Taking a 50k hand shot at the Party 30/60. Feeling a little nervous.

Hi all,

I debated whether I should even post this, but I'm going to go ahead and hope I get a few responses - maybe even someone is about to make the same move up. I've decided to give the 30/60 a 50k hand shot and see if I can improve my earn above what I'm making in the 15/30. At the very least, I'm hoping it stays the same and I don't have to run off with my tail between my legs.

If possible, for my first 10-20k hands, I'd like to try to decrease my variance, as I have heard people advise thise when moving up; that, and losing $10k+ in a day would probably make me need to vomit. I often hear some posters talk about how they play a "lower variance" style and they attribute that as to the reason why they don't have the swings that some of us do. Any suggestions for how to actually do this??? Also, what is a good VPIP in this game given semi-solid post-flop skills? (emphasis on semi, lol)

Post flop, where do I want to be making my inevitable mistakes. Do I want to be erring on the side of folding too much or calling down too much in this game? Too aggro or not aggro enough? I don't want to play weak tight, but the jump to higher levels always makes me think everyone is making crazy moves until I realize it's basically the same old game and 'ABCish' play works best. Honestly though, I guess I'm a little spooked by how tough people have said it is, and I have only played a few thousand hands in it to date. Also, it's hard to ignore the money at this level, even properly bankrolled.

Anyway, I was hoping I could write something more coherent here, or come up with better questions, but it just isn't happening. My brain is a little fried and this move up is making me nervous, so sorry for the scattered post. Basically, I don't like the idea of potentially finding out I'm not very good at this game - for so many reasons, the most crucial of which being that I think within a few years time, when all the pros are left playing each other, most of the higher limit games online are going to be this tough, or tougher; even 10/20 and 15/30.

Any helpful advice or inspirational words to help me get my skirt off would be nice and I'm sure I'll be repaying the favor, quite literally, by helping you guys with next months rent check through my donations in the 30. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for reading,

Nigel

One last thing, I don't know if it's of interest to people, but I could put up some sort of progress journal, although those things can be annoying. Seriously though, if someone would find it helpful, I could perhaps post little updates on how goes the battle.