View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Poll: What goes through a fish\'s mind

I think a lot of fish misunderstand bluffing. They pick the most horrible time to bluff. I had a similar situation last night: one limper to me, I raise AKo in the CO and the button cold-calls. Blinds call and the flop comes down AQ8 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet and he raises. The limpers fold and I reraise. He caps. This guy was new at the table, so I decide to check-call blank turns and rivers and prepare my self for the two pair...

Button flips over an unimproved 5-4 suited. None of his suits were even on the flop.

I think fish see bluffing as some magical tool. They see smart players raising to protect their hands and half of the table folding and think "Hey I can do that too!" They see the big poker guys on TV bluffing all the time (not realizing that bluffing is easier to do in NL since you can't fold a better-yet-marginal hand with an oversized bet in limit), and they're convinced that bluffing is the most important part of the game.

So when a fish sees you raise preflop, I would guess that half the time they think you're just bluffing and they have just as good a shot as you as winning. And if they were willing to call with Q3o for one bet, then surely there's no reason why they wouldn't call for two against Mr. Bluffy Blufferson.