View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: 7 card stud for dummies

[ QUOTE ]
Hollywood,

The 2+2 stud book is one of the best poker books ever written. I've read it like 6 times and still pick up things whenever I reread...it is really intense. But there is a caveat...if you're a beginner to stud, it may not be the book for you yet. The book is designed for mid limit (15-30 and higher) play where larger antes SIGNIFICANTLY impact play on 3rd and beyond. If you are playing something like 1-5 or 5-10 (I'm just guessing bc this is in the beginner's forum), much of the advice in the book won't apply to you b/c of the smaller proportional ante. You may want to read Roy West's book first, then get the more advanced text (caveat: I've never read the West book, but have heard it praised as a good text for stud beginners).

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I'm starting at rock bottom. I've played just messing around, but I have no idea WTF I'm doing.

I plan on playing .5/1 on PP or Pokerroom. I have a solid BR for that level.

I'll pick up the Sklansky Stud book, maybe a few others. That should get stud on my mind, I can adjust my play from there for the smaller limit rooms. How does that sound?

I'm also assuming there are less "fish" players as opposed to Holdem.