View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: An AQ hand inspired from SS2

I think I can see why you'd want to limp this preflop. Offsuit hands don't do as well in multiway pots so your edge preflop is small. By limping, you're giving up this small edge in exchange for a potentially bigger edge post flop. If you hit the flop, your top pair will likely be good but vulnerable. You'd like the opportunity to knock out some opponents with a raise. If you had raised pf, it would probably be checked to you and the pot would be large enough to make it correct for weak draws to call. Furthermore, if you miss the flop, you can fold more easily. With 6 opponents, it's unlikely that your hand will be best if you miss the flop, and the chances are high that you'd be dominated. In the example hand, you almost certainly don't have the best hand and you'd be drawing to a weak top pair while some others are probably drawing to a straight. You've got at best 3 outs in an 8 BB pot. Looks like it's time to fold.

Just my thought. I don't think I'd actually play like that though in reality. I think I tend to auto bet/raise AQ, which is probably wrong...