View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: QQ - UTG, what\'s my flop play?

The pot is offering 2.7:1. In the worst case scenario hand range (AA and KK included) your overall EV is about 55%. With a more realistic hand range we would exclude AA and KK. Now your EV is over 70%. It's a no brainer allin. Because of your high EV and high pot odds, you'd have to be a master hand reader to fold this hand. While I agree that his bet was definitely designed to put you at a decision for all of your chips, I think that a tough player can make this type of play with a hand as weak as 99 or AQo. I like to think I can fold hands like these profitably when I'm "sure" I'm beat, but I think this allows people to run over you too often, and in reality you're dumping loads of EV.

Now let's consider the times that he has not flopped a monster like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or a set. The times he has JJ, 99, AK (most likely on club to get any action), you most definitely want action. You may be able to induce an allin raise or call if you overbet the pot or simply move allin. He may put you on a draw and call with a significantly weaker hand. The other benefit is that when you do flop a nice draw on a board like this you can make a bet like this again and people (who you've sold this move to at least) will be less likely to put you on a draw and you can take the pot right there. Either way you're +EV but I'm just suggesting some alternatives that may benefit your play.