Thread: Stuck
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Great post

Terrific post.

The point that piqued my interest is that your game has approached a level where it is more difficult for you to find holes in your own play. As they get smaller it's going to be tougher to see how the marginal situations you might modify affect your win rate, since by definition they aren't frequent/expensive enough to come up all that often and sample sizes grow slowly. Since the answer to a lot of poker questions is "learn to play better," you are kind of stuck. In other pursuits, this is where you'd definitely want to get a mentor or coach. Here I think it's kind of tough since, again, the places you are making real theoretical mistakes are rarer.

OTOH, an ever growing percentage of mistakes we make as we get better are going to have to do with psychological factors. I know that gets pooh-poohed a lot here, since it doesn't lend itself well to the logical discussions the typical 2+2er is good at. But looking at other "sports" where physicality can almost take a back seat to mental preparedness, it's pretty clear to me that poker is likely not an exception to the rule. Mental preparation, exercise, nutrition, etc., in addition to being solidly proven to improve mental acuity, is going to have enough benefits to general well-being that it may be worth a shot even if they don't help your game. OTOH, improved thinking in turn may help you identify technical holes in your game.

I have some experience in this, but have some friends/mentors who have a lot. I'll shoot you an e-mail or post some possible suggestions in the psychology forum if you like.

BTW, some of this is stating the obvious, and I don't mean to condescend; I just think you need to provide an argument before mentioning psychological/physiological factors in poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]