Thread: Stuck
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Stuck

How many tables are you playing? Have you considered playing fewer tables and working on hand reading and play balancing?

Also, some of the problems you describe with pounding too much are probably just running bad. Opponents are more tenacious bettors are tougher to play against:

6-handed game, UTG open raises JJ and I call in the BB w/ KTs.

Flop(4.5 SB) comes
AQ5 w/ a backdoor flush draw.

Against an opponent who checks hands like JJ on the turn, I'm going to call liberally because I get free cards when he tries to get to showdown with mediocre hands. I can also value bet more on the river when I hit a King and he checks behind.

Against an opponent who is going to continue to pound marginal hands and semi-bluffs like KJ on the turn, I am going to fold the flop because I'm not going to get as many free cards and I'm going to get charged more when catch a King and I am up against an Ace--I can't be sure he isn't betting an underpair.

I think pounding is a good basic style even in tough games(though I only play up to 30/60). I agree that you can increase your EV by mixing up your play, but you probably don't need a stylistic overhaul.