Thread: Stuck
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Stuck

[ QUOTE ]
I spent a lot of time analyzing it and at least up to the 30-60 level I think (but am not certain) that the rhythm you describe above may just be due to a string of bad luck and not a string of being outplayed.

In other words when I am running well they fold or don't hit their five outers and I feel like a genius, when I am running bad they checkraise me, perhaps out of trickiness but perhaps because they just keep hitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been looking at this a lot myself lately too. I also don't play higher than 30/60 yet, but I have found that a lot of players will deliberately take slightly the worst of it - if they have a good read on you and think you will fold without any kind of hand.

Calling down BS with AK high is not usually a good idea, but sometimes needs to be done.

My style is similar to yours - borderline LAG. This tends to make people slow down and play back at you harder when they really have a hand. If you're getting raised a lot (on the turn and river), you need to find out if it's just against you or if they play most people like this.

Watching for a while should help you figure out who's got your number and who doesn't. You may need to change styles for a while if you are always against the same opponents.

Try playing rocklike for a couple of hours, then opening it up for 15 minutes, then reverting to rock again for a while, etc.

You are a good player and don't really need any strategy advice (IMO). I think you do need to work more on your metagame skills and image plays, including finding out if you have tells or not.

I'm sure you've experienced getting the rhythm of a game to the point of knowing exactly what's going on all the time. If you're new to these limits it may just be a matter of not having enough critical information.

If these are live games, you may just want to railbird for a while to see if you can pick up anything that you can't focus on while you're sitting at the table.

Pretend one of the players hired you to coach him and look for all of the things he does right or wrong. Then move to the next guy and do it again. Then go to the car and write it all down.

Then do it to yourself and your own game.

I think you'll get through this in no time.

I don't think you should move down unless you need the money. You may be better off not playing and just watching for a while like I mentioned above.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I hope this was of some help.

Dov