View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, villian shows 77 and i lose the pot.

But, here is my major question.

Instead of check/calling on the flop, should i be check/raising?

The thing is, by check/calling there is no draw for me to represent, so the other guy should probably think that I'm slowplaying something.

The other thing is, if i check/call, and he has a weak hand, like 77 or a bluff, he will shut down on the turn and river, so check raising and making him fold really makes no difference in my profit, it just gives me an oppurtunity to lose the pot.

Finally, if he has Ax he will probably call my check raise and I will extract as much money as I would with check/calling.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough beat, but I still think you played the hand about perfectly.

We read correctly that he was on a steal PF. You have two pair, so even if he's semibluffing with one pair (the two or ten in this case) his outs are all but forfeited. So a call in this situation is fine. He probably calls a minraise with this semibluff.

If he does have a underpocketpair, he has two outs against you. I'd think most players fold to a flop raise here, but I'm not sure about this villian. Either way, you are way ahead of him here. Villian having an underpair, however, means that you won't extract much more from him unless he is super-agressive. So here you have to weigh whether a smooth-call will induce a repop or not. If not, then I raise on the flop here and be done with the hand.

If he has an ace, he pays you off. He's already shown that right? So smooth calling here is perfect if he has an ace.

So evaluating the different holdings, I think the smoothcall is your best option. He either:

1) Has a worse two pair and will pay you off at a latter time. He has 2 outs to beat you.
2) Is semibluffing with one pair, and will pay you off if he hits a forfeited out, or might repop if you smooth call. He has 0-2 outs to beat you.
3) Has an underpair, possibly repoping on the turn, possible not giving you any more, and possibly folding to a flop reraise. Could do a lot of different things with an underpocketpair.
4) Could have absolutely nothing and fold to a flop reraise or a turn bet.

With all options considered here, I think smooth calling on the most profitable decision here.

Brad