View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

[ QUOTE ]
First, good luck w law school.

Second, while you sound full of good intentions, keep in mind that 1) law school is NOT cheap; and 2) the jobs that pay enough to provide a nice living (rent, repmt of loans, etc) are the ones that involve working for big banks and corporations. If you have a method of going to law school cheap/free - more power to you, but it isn't as easy as you might think to "help the little guy" if/when you have a lot of debt and want to live in a large and expensive city or anything like that.

that said, I couldnt be happier w my choice of law school. As far as poker part time - i did it this year (my 3rd - got some modest spending $$ and fun in the process), but i would recommend some legal-related/resume building work (even for free) as well as SNG grinding.

[/ QUOTE ]

well shoot, not to totally derail the thread, but i figure i'll respond.

i've had pretty good luck with resume building while in undergrad, having worked in the senate for a summer and then three summers at a private dc law firm.

and i knows its tough, and i know ill be in debt. but I think there are some good paying jobs as an attorney while you don't have to "sell your soul." I have been working at an employment law firm, where our guys get paid pretty well to take up the cause for people who were wrongfully terminated or otherwise discriminated against.

We also pick up the occasional med-mal case, and we have a strong enough reputation where we are able to pick and choose cases that we believe in. It's a pretty good situation.

But hey, who knows. Maybe i'll get out of law school and turn into this evil corporate lawyer who cares only for money, as I'm apparently destined to do. For now... I hope I don't.