View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna say something like this, although maybe with a little less venom.

I just think that a lot of people on this forum -- maybe not as many as they all imagine -- could make a living playing poker. And could probably do pretty well.

But just think about . . . at the end of your life, you don't have all that much to show for it. I am about to enter my first year of law school, with every intention of spending my life "fighting for the little guy," maybe (probably) for less money than I would make playing poker for a living (this is all speculation -- I've not played as many SNGs as some of you folks play in a month, but I'm pretty bright). But I'll have some substance to my life.

Listen, I'm not one of those people who were on the psych forum a few weeks back, talking about how playing poker for a living is evil. And I don't have any particular problem with it. It's a really great time. I just think . . . imagine being 60 years old and sort of reflecting. You won't imagine that you've contributed a great deal.

I guess I just have some delusions at this point of a life where I contribute something important, and I know that I wouldn't do that playing poker. Every once in a while we happen upon a Barry Greenstein, who gives so much of himself to help others through his talent at poker. But for the vast majority of poker players, that is nowhere close to their intentions. And a life where I'm not contributing anything just... isn't the life for me.

On the other hand, I'm thinking poker will make a pretty good part-time job throughout law school. No commute.

[/ QUOTE ]

The attorneys I work for dont give a damn thing back to soceity, or any ive known for that matter. Its all about the money. You may have good intentions now but I have a feeling 10 yrs from now you wont have the same outlook.