View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: QQ in the cutoff

Yep. And, actually, this is what you're looking for as you move through a tournament. You tend to move up either (a) by making moves, or (b) playing back at someone who makes moves on you. You're looking precisely for those situations where your opponent gets it all-in and you have much-the-best of it.

Hands like these usually build you toward a high finish, and sometimes bust you out.

It's also possible, when you win big hands like these, that you'll be able to bully people in the late going. If the table gets too timid as you're moving up the pay scale, having a stack can be worth mucho $$. Definitely worth trying to get one if you can do it as a favorite.

A couple of examples. About a week ago, I finished 13th in a Party $30+3. I went out on a hand where I got it all in against someone with a two-outer ... who promptly hit his two-outer. I would've had a nice stack going into the final table, probably, if I won that hand.

A couple other times, I've busted out 9th and 8th on some really horrible moves early in the final table. I was just fatigued and a bit tired of playing.

I'm way happier with the 13th place, where I played right, than the final table 9th and 8ths. Busting out is just fine when you played it right.