Thread: Reads
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Reads

[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]

do a search in the micro forums for "when a read is not a read" by Entity- i think there is some good posts in there.

my suggestion: don't get bogged down with nitty-gritty and hand specifics, but rather preferences: does he like any Ace, overcards, suited cards, connectors- this goes for postflop as well: do they call frequently to see the turn? if the board doesn't look scary, how far will they call down? what are they showing down?

preflop most people don't pay attention to position and if they open limp with A6o, then they will definitely limp with many people. BIG things to look for are:
1. raises (even weaker players have some positional awareness with this one)
2. cold calls
3. how tight are they in the blinds (for future steal attempts).
4. frequency of limping in and open limping- i've found alot of weaker players like early positions because "hey it hasn't been raised, so i can play this hand"

postflop there obviously is a lot here, but again most people at this level are fairly straight forward. more BIG things:

1. check/raises
2. big aggression (reraises and caps)
3. betting when checked to (especially after preflop raises)
4. calling the flop and folding non-scary turn (whether to continue with semi-bluffs or overcards)
5. betting into a preflop raiser
6. when faced with aggression after they are the preflop raiser and either get c/r or bet into( possible weak-tight).
7. showdown hands - this is obviously the only way to find out what they are playing and solidify your reads. i mention it only because, until you start seeing these, the previous other points are baseless, so don't assume you have a good read on people until you've seen a number of showdown hands.

a minor edit: short-handed (~3 people) vs HU vs multiway (4+): this could be a read if they play differently, but i've found most players just play the 2 cards in their hand in relation to the board and play the same regardless, but you'll find the occasional more aggressive/trickier opponent- i think you'll see them pretty quickly.