View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Wanting to play when I\'m running bad

The last couple days I've experienced more bad beats than usual, and my bankroll has taken a bit of a hit. I stopped playing yesterday when I hit my threshold of misery, and came back today, stepped down a limit, and it just kept going wrong. Thankfully I caught myself blatantly spewing chips on the first orbit and got out.

But dammit I want to start playing again already.

Anyone else get this? I'm on tilt, I know I'm on tilt, and yet I still want to sit down and grind out some hours because. Well, I have absolutely NO excuse as far as I can see.

Perhaps it's because my worldview is that I am a winning player and being on tilt shouldn't affect that.

Most likely it's because I'm a little bit addicted.

I'm pretty sure someone is going to say something like there's no such thing as being a little bit addicted, but some of ya'll know what I mean, I'm sure.

Maybe I am just a functioning, and profitable, gambling addict. I hate -EV games and excessive variance though, so maybe I'd be better described as a workaholic.

Yeah, this probably isn't a high value post, but it's kept me from playing for a few more minutes, and strengthed my resolve to not play tonight (and probably not tomorrow, some parts of real life are annoying me right now so I'm probably just going to play it safe).

For the record, I score pretty low on the 20 questions test, even without making poker exceptions. But now I just sound like I'm justifying my degenerate ways.