View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Going pro Article

About 5 or 6 months ago I posted a thread regarding David Sklansky's forward in which he stated that it is easy to make 50k playing 3-6 holdem on the internet.
I challenged that it was not easy, and I met with a very angry mob response, and a very short post from Mr Sklansky re-stating how easy it is.
There was a poster who posted his winning record playing 6 tables for 100k hands. It took him 4 months to reach that amount of hands, and I believe he had made 18k. It was very impressive, but it didnt change my attitude.
I realize that there are some people who are currently playing crazy amounts of tables and making money. That being said I believe they are the exception rather than the rule.
Ed Miller is possibly the best poker author out there right now. besides the math, he seems to have a natural
understanding of poker strategy and he communicates his thoughts very clearly. it's just that I disagree with how to go about making money on the internet.

After playing online for several months now, I think I can safely say that for example; you should not multi-table more than 2-3 games of 6 maxx, any level. you need to be
very aware of the players tendencies in this game. I know I'll hear from someone who is multi-tabling 24 games of 6maxx 5-10 and making six figures a month or some crazy figure, but 6maxx demands quick decisions, higher aggression, and features maniacs in about 30% of the games you'll play.It's simply too demanding to multi-table more than 3 successfully imo.
To make 4k a month at 3-6, you need to play roughly 44k hands, and make at least 1 1/2bb/100. To do this, you need to play every day 5 hours a day or 5 days a week 8 hours a day 4-tabling.
Can you sustain this pace? if so, then as David said, 50k is no problem.I dont think it's realistic.
A realistic pace would be to play slightly above 8 hours worth of hands at B&M.
If you play 400-500 hands a day online ,you are way ahead
of B&M games, and you can have a life. And I would keep that at 5 days a week.
Realistic earnings= 3-6 holdem 1200-1400 monthly.
This I believe is reality,.
Also if you want to watch a great 6maxx player, go to Ladbrokes and watch 22year old, "The Salmon", and other play 200-400 6maxx. very entertaining andinstructive.

If you want to get a realistic idea of what to expect from another source, then go to King Yao's Blog,(author of Weighing the Odds in Holdem) where he is currently developing a book on 6maxx internet play and is playing 50k hands of 6maxx at 10-20 15-30 levels and reporting back.
good luck