View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: $109s - Are you not committed yet?!?!

Why push?

By doing so, you obviously think you're ahead (you have about an x% chance times zero = zero chance of folding out a better hand). Qdxd is the only hand you're ahead of that has a decent # of outs (unless he fired two bluffs with two random diamonds, or 54). The vast majority of the time your opponent is drawing to 2-3 outs to beat you if behind (TP worse kicker, or mid-pair).

If you're going to raise, why not put some egg on his face and possibly induce a Turn call or push on his part? Mini-raise his arse. Haze him for not giving you respect and betting into you (the PFR) twice on a bluff-worthy dry board. It's surprising how often this "fu too" raise will embarass an opponent into calling with crap or coming over the top with crap. And of the few times you're beat, he would have called your push anyhow, so nothing more lost.

Or, just smooth call and try and get more chips on the River. You're obviously saying "I think I'm ahead here, and I'm willing to risk all my chips to find out if I'm right" by pushing, but it's pretty rare that, given how the action has gone, your opponent will call off all his chips with a worse hand. However, he may give you more of those chips if you take a different line, with little risk of getting outdrawn on your part by keeping him in for one more card.