View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Flush draw and overcard, check and call flop?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm less inclined the lead a flop like this if the J was replaced with an A. I feel at SS a lot of donks will limp an Axo, but are going to fold Jxo, so the chance that the above flop replaced with an A hits somebody is greater and thus you are less likely to take down the pot with a single bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, so here are my counterthoughts:

If I had to choose between a J-high flop and an A-high flop with 3 limpers in the pot with me, I'd rather bet at the A-high. With the J-high flop, I'm going to get people who will call with as little as a single overcard and a backdoor draw or two. With the A-high flop, I have an excellent scare card and people are less inclined to call without an A in their hand.

There's another important factor here that has to do with the "It's good enough to call then you might as well bet" saying. I'm not a fan of that particular saying but there's a situation that's related that you need to be able to recognize - places where stronger hands will bet but not raise. In those situations, you should almost always bet if your hand is worth a call.

With an A-high flop, an Ax hand is virtually always going to bet at the flop and you're going to put in a bet anyway. But when nobody has an A, it's going to get checked through and you'll miss an excellent opportunity to steal the pot.