View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Done reading HOH 2....anyone else ? lets discuss

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

The 62o is just a regular old resteal vs two loose active players. Good players do this with AK and 77-99, experts do this with 62o.

The 'M' factor now has a name. Maybe the forum posters learned this from pros and passed it on to the forums, but never named it.

Its widely discussed that when you have less then 8-5BB you should be open pushing looking to double up. This is because your a bigger underdog to win or a big cash then 72o is to AA with less then 8BB.

Thanks,
MarkV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that a lot of the threads here on short stacks refer to your stack in terms of xBB. Harrington's M ratio is based on BB+SB+Antes, or what it costs you per orbit. Yeah, some of you are thinking "well, duh", but it was an eye-opener for me, as I'm a relatively new player (< 2 years experience)

I realize the concepts of how to use the ratio are the same (between what's discussed here and what Harrington talks about in his book).

Up to this point, I've kept a close eye on my stack in terms of xBB. Now that I include SB and antes, I realize that I approach the red zone a lot quicker than I think.

Before reading this book, I basically had two modes--Green Zone and Red Zone. Now I have two other zones in between to be aware of, as well as how to better calculate the ratio (M) that determines which zone I'm in.

What will be interesting to see is whether I go from green to red faster, given that my game will have to open up and become more aggressive as I move through yellow and orange (vs. previously where I was TAG until I reached red). The result, hopefully, will be that I cash more, but exit earlier when I don't cash. It will be interesting to contrast this to my tournament experiences up to this point where I either build a big stack early and eventually make the money, or bleed my chips away in what i thought was the green zone, when actually I was moving through the orange and yellow zones on my way to the red and dead zones.

I realize that more advanced players here may already know all of Harrington's concepts, but they've helped me.

Edit: I realize that stack size and M are not the only important concepts in tournament play. My comments are focused on this aspect only.