View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Pedal to the metal with trips...

Villain sounds erratic, and there's a good chance he's not particularly observant.

A couple of thoughts, though:

(1) Anyone who plays Party 3/6 and pays much attention at all should be aware of the check-call flop, checkraise turn line with flopped trips. I know you don't do it all that often, but that doesn't mean Villain doesn't see it all the time.

(2) It seems like when someone is willing to put in this many raises against me heads-up postflop, he usually has something very good.

I often have trouble figuring out when to slow down with a strong hand -- especially against the kind of player your opponent is. But I don't think you should have put quite as many postflop bets in as you did.

That said, if you won the hand (maybe because Villain was going nuts postflop with KK or 95s or something), well, then you went with your instincts based on your read and were right this time. I do think that sometimes a play that can be correct at the table can look wrong in a posted hand, because sometimes a read can contain subtleties that are hard to describe in a post.

Edit: For instance, if Villain seems to take it personally and gets carried away when someone checkraises him, of if he tends to either play his hands passively or continue raising indefinitely, with some disregard for his hand's actual strength, then those would be reasons to keep playing back at him with a hand as strong as trips.

Probably he can usually bully someone into just calling him down eventually, if he raises persisently enough, since he won't usually be up against the nuts. So if he's a player who lets his ego get involved once he shows strength in a hand, then your river 3-bet starts to seem less reckless to me.