View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: State of the Forum

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem with the forum is, and always has been, a lack of participation by posters in their own threads. I've replied to about a dozen hands in the last few days. The original poster has not made a second post in the thread in many of them.

Posting a hand, reading the responses, then posting another hand isn't the way to get better. Post a hand then debate the ideas that people reply with. If you don't agree, challenge them to back up their statements. If you don't understand, ask them to clarify.

Also, I find it really annoying when I take the time to reply to a hand and the original poster never comes back to the thread. I'm much less likely to reply to future threads by that person if they don't participate in their own hand discussions. Many of you probably don't care if I reply to your threads, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've posted one hand in my almost 2 years at 2+2 (I too lurked for a long time before posting, and as you can see from my low post count, still lurk more than I post!) because if I have a questionable hand, I always seem to find similiar hands being posted. (Also, I play B&M and home games and thus see LOTS fewer hands than most!)

But I have to add my 2cents and second what JTG51 said above. The hand I posted, I wanted answers about my play. So I posted preflop. Then replied with flop. Then turn. I never even posted the river because it wasn't interesting --I had a great draw, made my hand and a lot of bets on the end, lucky me! -- and the questions I had were about my play before the river (on the river it was obvious what to do: I had made the nut hand, so I got as many bets in as I could).

The point is that I learned more about my play by posting the hand in parts rather than all at once. I don't know if this would be a viable strategy for many posters, but it's worth thinking about.

And I agree with JTG51: when people have taken the time to reply and give advice, the very least one could do is give a quick thanks. (I must apologize that never did because I didn't want to look like I was bumping a dead thread -- but if I ever post a hand again, I promise to say thank you!)