View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Show me a good bluff....PLEASE!

i have a bluff story... it was called in the end but i had literally everyone at the table fooled and i think it was personally a horrible call by him that happened to be correct this one time...

I have Ad7d, and I limp on the button (perhaps questionable to limp on the button, that's another story)... 6 to the flop in a 5/5 NL game.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It's checked around to me, so I bet out 35... The tightest player at the table, UTG (1000), who I have covered, immediately check raises to 85. Everyone at the table folds, I call... this was the most questionable decision of the hand. It didn't occur to me until after I uttered "call" that my 2 pair or trips would be no good, heh.

The turn is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], for a board of A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I decide that of course because of his puny check raise, this is the perfect time to represent spades... so he bets out 100. I put him on a set or top two... I raise to 400. MY thinking here was that he is absolutely calling the turn, absolutely, for redraws. If a higher spade falls, and he has the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], he will bet (he's a straightforward player). If the board pairs, I will instantaneously ditch the hand. I raise to 400 because I misread his stack... I thought he had 1400 (black looked like a purple), and I wanted to leave myself enough to go all in with SIGNIFICANT fold equity on the river.

River is a complete blank, he checks and I go all in for his remaining 520 or so, which I thought would be closer to a grand.

He agonizes for a long time, says I know you have the flush but I'm stuck a lot of money so I Call... he shows AK, with the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He told me he called because he had the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he didn't think I would just go all in w/o the nuts like that.... haha I didn't realize tight players assume everyone are as tight as they are!

Anyway the thinkiung was I put him on a VERY specific hand and I thought I could represent a specific one so well that he would not only pay me money on the turn, but deefinitely fold the river... I made sure (though incorrectly) to leave enough money to have fold equity on the river, knowing he'd call the turn.

I think bluffs need to represent specific hands, and I think you need to think about maximizing profit while maintaining enough folding equity, etc. I still stand by thinkign this was a good play, but so it goes... so there's my story about a big bluff and what I was thinking.