View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Some draw questions!

[ QUOTE ]
I have basically all the same questions as you shootah. I played my first session tonight and played for about an hour or so.

'What are 'Shorts'? You never play straight or flush draws?'

Shorts are small pairs. Don't play draws except in blinds. Maybe Straight flush draw against 2 limpers on button, or with or high straight flush draw as a blind steal.

'Seems good to me. What do you limp with though? What do you defend in the blinds with?'

Pretty much don't limp, except in SB. I've seen good players limp before, but I don't ever.

[ QUOTE ]
My Questions: What's the probalities of improving when you draw three to a pair, two to a pair and a kicker, 2 to trips, 1 to trips, 1 to an OESD, 1 to a flush draw, etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

Pair: about 3 to 1, draw three, almost always.
Trips: Around 10 to 1
OESD: about 4 to 1
flush draw: about 4 to 1
two pair: 11 to one

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how often do you draw one to trips. I almost always draw two when in multiway pots, but sometimes if I have high trips I will just draw one to someone drawing two or three. Also, depending on what the other guy draws to, what do you value bet on the next round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually draw one to trips, ditching the bigger kicker. I'm more inclined to draw two from steal position, although I mostly draw 1. Draw two if you believe you're behind.

'I have been mixing it up and going with my gut. One interesting situation though that I have a question about. I opened UTG+1 with QQQ84, button three bets, SB caps. He stands pat. So do I have a better percentage to fill up if I draw one card or two?'

Draw 2.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you handle a bad two pair before the draw. Obviously if I was first in I raise, but what about after limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Limpers plural? Probably fold. Depends how bad the two pair, but I'm not fond of your equity in this spot, especially if they'll limp with hands better than one pair.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever call with unimproved high pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, when you suspect a steal. AA looks pretty good when it folds to the small blind and he leads into you after the draw. Also, watch people, and see how much they bluff, etc.

One cool thing I did today that also thought I was share. This is probably a standard play for people who actually know how to play this game but I opened on the button with 66428, BB called. He drew three and I decided to stand pat. I took the pot down with almost no effort. It is pretty obvious you cant over use this play but it was really the only time when I got tricky so it seemed cool at the time...probably standard stuff though...gl

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I see it done now and again. I like it better with two pair, because you can bet postdraw and get called by one pair, because they think you're stealing. I suppose it's a good way of getting a cheap showdown with a marginal hand, but I think you're usually give too much away, since you've got a fairly good chance to improve one pair. With two pair, you don't have that.