View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Some draw questions!

Shorts are small pairs....obviously they don't improve that much to be profitable. I don't limp all that much at all. Basically, I only limp when I want to be the hand but raising probably isn't all that good. Like if there are 2-3 limpers and I have JJ or QQ in the blinds. I don't really wanna raise and then be out of position after the draw. I limp with some smaller pairs in the SB also if it's been limped around. Basically I decided that raising or folding is a much better strategy for this game.

I don't play flush draws unless they are straight flush draws or I am in the blinds. Basically, I don't think they improve enough to make them profitable in that many situations. Straight draws(open ended) improve 1 to 4.88, and flush draws 1 to 4. I don't really think you ever have the odds. Also, when you draw one and then bet on the next round, most will give you credit and fold, cutting down your implied odds quite badly. At some tables I will play flush draws on the button after both people limp, because the blinds almost always play. I also decided that it's better to have an ace, because you may get lucky, pair, and take down a pot.

I actually give up alot of blinds, because in normal cases, you are only getting 3.5 to 1 on your call. The reason is that the games I have played in are normally pretty loose passive, so a raise generally means two pair or better. (not always, but it's reasonable). I normally defend with 10's and up.

I think I have gotten a bit of the tricky stuff out of the way with two pair. I always come in raising two pair, and I will three bet with the better two pair, normally Jacks up or better, since they are the median hands. After the draw I would normally bet the good ones and check and call the bad ones.

I have also learned that basically, unless you improve, you shouldn't be calling bets. There are certain exceptions and I think it really pays to watch your players. I have seen more than one guy calling with basically any one card draw, gutshots and all, high cards, etc...and betting everytime if checked to. So I was always checking to him, either calling or check raising.

You improve more when you draw two. I draw one sometimes against people that raise or reraise me, and then draw one. My basic idea is to project two small pair, and then check raise after the draw.

I have used the raise and stand pat idea also, but you really, really, have to be careful. Only do it on the players that will fold if they don't improve, and I only really use it about once per table.

I have actually logged some awesome sessions on pokerroom so far. I turned the free 20$ I got from bluff magazine into 160 so far, in about one hold em session to get me up to 40, and then in two draw sessions.

Oh, and if you have SS1, the probabilities of improving are in there for a 52 card deck. I am making a draw cheat sheet with all the plays I make, the charts, opening requirements, etc...

Also, I just have to share this: I got dealt pat quad aces today. I am proud to say that it's 4,164 to 1, and that I flipped my lid. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Good luck to you. We need a hand converter for pokerroom draw so we can start to post some reasonable looking hands here.

We should really get this forum to work up some good draw strategy stuff. I was thinking that if a better game with more skilled opponents starts to run, we should get some game theory ideas going. It seems like it would be more profitable to be betting unimproved hands sometimes so observant opponents (not the donks currently playing) can't fold everytime with confidence. Also, if you are clearly on a flush draw or a straight draw, you should probably be bluffing some then also. I dunno. Night guys...btw, look for me, TonyRotella, on PR, and then get your own damn table. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]