View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Skill in Limit vs NL

I'm mostly a limit player, while I play NL casually with friends I wont sit down and play 6 hours straight of NL. I just reread super system, and I think the thing that seperates limit from NL is the implied odds you get in NL. If you play a NL style as suggested by brunson, NL is much more about playing your opponents stack whereas limit is more about playing the pot. Pot odds are much more important in limit (hence the more mathematical nature). Theres an example in super system where brunson called a raise and caller with 54s, 'got lucky', and busted both guys out. This is a play you would never make in limit, but because the raise was a small percentage of his stack a gamble could pay off big time if his opponents were willing to go all in.

I think the main thing about NL is that it isnt a game that is supposed to be played by bad players, at short stacked low limit tables. Its a high stakes game thats meant to be played by professionals. I find limit is still interesting at the lower limits, where NL is just wait around for a good hand and get paid off. I'd love to eventually play high stakes NL.