View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Some more thoughts

Alright, let me refine the original post a bit. Typically, Hero would raise it up to $150 since there are 3 other players and both a straight and a flush draw out. He almost certainly has the best hand now and wants to make the others pay to draw.

In this hand, though, Hero wants to make the play that is most likely to double him up, especially since villains are both pretty bad (and easily read) players. With this goal in mind, how does this affect the play? Is it a bad idea to even have this goal in mind?

Let's say Hero figures Villain 1 for AK or AQ with at most 1 spade, and let's also say Hero has a feeling that Villain 2 is on a weak draw – either a low gutshot, a backdoor flush draw, or maybe even a "set draw" with 66 - 88. Let's also say Hero is capable of folding his set if this initial read is wrong and one of the villains makes a monster (they're not tricky players, so it's unlikely they'll be trapping in any non-obvious way).

Is there any argument to made here for a smaller raise – say raise to $90 or $100? A possible reasoning for such a raise would be as follows:

Hero raises to $100. BB either pushes or folds. If BB pushes (as he would if hero raised $130-$150) both villains fold (or hero pushes if one of them miraculously calls). If BB folds, this raise is more likely to induce Villain 1 to stick around to catch his ace (or is he just as likely to stay around if it will cost $100 into a $250 pot as he is if it costs only $70 into a $220 pot?). If Villain 1 folds, I expect Villain 2 to fold as well. If Villain 1 calls, then I figure Villain 2 will as well. If A or K falls (I don't figure Villain 2 for J Q, based on the reluctance to call the $30 on the flop – we've been playing together for about 5 hours, and he has never been reluctant to call any amount for an OESD), Hero expects to rake in a large pot. Otherwise, Hero bets about the pot on the turn and takes down a slightly larger pot with just about any other card than he would have if they both folded the flop (though admittedly it gets stickier if a spade or straight card falls).

One drawback of this line is it will either get both villains or neither of them to call. Furthermore, the bet seems a bit too small to narrow villains' hand ranges, and I'm not sure how to proceed if another spade or straight card comes off. Is there any good way to isolate Villain 1 without scaring him off? What about Villain 2?

Other thoughts, suggestions, criticisms?

(Incidentally, in the actual hand Hero raised it to $150, everybody folded. I was happy to take down the pot, but have been wondering if I could have extracted more from this hand.)