Thread: What are you?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: What are you?

Didn't see your liberal/reality post, sorry. I normally don't like to miss an opportunity to tell you how wrong you are. Alas, tomorrow is another day. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the compliment on my poker posts. I think I've progressed from a B- to a solid B, borderline B+, in large part due to 2+2. I'm that proverbial 78 golfer David mentioned in one of his articles; I'll get killed by the par shooters, but there are a lot of guy who shoot in the 80s (or higher).

As for leading me by the nose, we haven't met, but if we did, you'd see that'd be pretty easy.

As for liberals and downbeat, well they're out of power now, so they're naturally critical. During the '60s and '70s, and during the Clinton years, the conservatives were downbeat. Reagan, for example, constantly said we were going to hell in a handbasket (or whatever that expression is), despite his optimistic reputation, whereas Hubert Humphrey was known as "The Happy Warrior." I suppose in the sense that liberals favor change, and conservatives the status quo (and I realize that these are somewhat oversimplified definitions of the terms), liberals would tend to be more downbeat, since if they favor change, that would mean there is something wrong that requires changing.

By my being a "downbeat," I was referring to my curmudgeon-like demeanor, rather than any political stances.

As for my life in history books, like my not-quite hero Thomas Jefferson, I cannot live without books. Today, I received my latest order from Amazon: A biography of the great California architect Irving Gill; a book about the TV Show The West Wing; and "Managing Sales for Business Growth."

Man does not live by the nut flush alone.