Thread: NBA Trade Rumor
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: NBA Trade Rumor

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this trade for Phoenix, either. I know they need to get bigger. But adding Kurt Thomas (who'll be often be undersized in the West) isn't going to turn them into a defensive juggernaut. They are still going to need to score a bunch of points to win. And I think giving up Q (premier three-point threat who opens the floor up) may hamper their offense enough such that the marginal improvement on the defensive end won't be enough to compensate for the loss of his offense.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but I actually think any trade for any halfway decent center is a great trade for Phoenix. They have too many players who do exactly the same thing. Joe Johnson and Q are basically carbon copies of each other, and Marion is very similar except that his strength and jumping ability make him more versatile. The trade isn't meant to make them a defensive juggernaut, it's meant to allow the Suns' big men to play their natural positions. Amare Stoudemire had an amazing year as a severely undersized center, imagine the havoc he'll wreak on the power forwards of the league. Same goes for Marion moving from 4 to 3. They're trading something they already have too much of for a piece they've been desperately missing.