View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Anger Management

I still grit my teeth occassionally when I'm running bad on rivers, but it's been a long while since I bloodied my knuckles on my desk or smashed my keyboard.

If I lose because I called down with a worse hand the whole way, I just scold myself for playing badly and try to learn from the hand. If I got unlucky, I just shrug. Hands that are favorites to win are just that, favorites. They are not guarantees. If I'm 85% to win, then 15% of the time, I WILL lose.

The biggest shift you can make in thinking about your game is to think about playing correctly, and not winning. Being proud of that rivered straight you hit is the same as fretting about your Aces geting cracked. If I've played a hand correctly, or as well as I can, I might sigh when the cards fall the other way, but I don't get upset anymore.

Truth be told, I might pump my fist when I hit my third K with KK v. AA all-in preflop, but I'll worry more about that hand than when I have the aces and I lose.

Worry less about winning and losing, and more about playing correctly. If you do, the money will take care of itself.