View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: whats your read on this overbet? $55sng

500 is raising the pot (well, 490). Very reasonable, and with a set on a straight and flush draw board I want to overcharge the single draw in case someone is in there with both draws. My point about pot-committedness was about the Villains, not the Hero. This more than half the stack of any of the others in the hand. Anyone who calls that is only folding to another bet if they are on a draw that gets to see the river and misses. So every made hand he wants to call probably calls a push as often as a smaller raise, but a push discourages the draws.

I think you have to think about the way the hand plays on the turn. Even if you charge the draw enough in terms of immediate odds, the implied odds are there for him to call since you'll pay off often enough. The other issue is that if the first guy calls, the second guy can come with any decent draw.

I don't like callers here because there are too many cards on the turn that make your life difficult. Any spade, 2, 3, 7, 8 may or may not have hit your caller(s), and he could either bluff you off your hand or get paid off, depending on which gamble you want to take.

If a good turn card comes, you push then anyway. I don't think the few extra chips you win when you get a draw to call 350 who wouldn't have called 500 or a push AND a nice turn card comes is enough to make up for going broke or getting pushed off the best hand.