View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: what are the cons of going through temp agencies?

from what I understand and experienced, the temp agency already have a contract set up w/ whatever company they work with. I've heard that usually it's like $1-$2 per $10 an hour they take. I'm from Cali so it might differ depending on where you live and what temp agency you work for.

To be honest, working for a temp agency isn't all that bad. I would say that the worst part is that it's a 'temp' job so you never know when you're gonna be told not to come in anymore. Although you take a test to see what areas you have strong skills in, most likely they'll just offer you whatever they have open and either you take it or you wait for the next one. If you deny any job, most likely they'll see you as someone who's lazy and who doesn't really need a job ASAP so you might not get the next phone call right away. I say take whatever job you can and build up a relationship with your supervisor or whoever and try to go up the ladder in terms of pay and position.

I've had jobs such as straight Mexican sweatshop/warehouse conditions where I was lifting boxes and pushing crates around and [censored]. Not too fun. Not to sound racist or anything but that's exactly what it was. 90% of the workers didn't speak a word of english. I felt sorry for them and it was a good learning experience. I've also had decent jobs such as working at a BoA corporate office doing loan work.

Either way, if you want pay and something quick, go to a temp agency near you and do it. I say it's better than working at the Mall or gas station or whatever getting min. wage when you can easily get $8-$12 at a temp. You can probably google the nearest temp agencies around you. AppleOne is a big one, I'm not sure if it's nationwide though.

GL. Damn this post is long.