View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Winning pots VS Theory of Poker

Well for starters, pot odds shouldn't force your decisions in tournaments. They should be a factor, but that's it. We know odds to know what will make us money in the long run. Unfortunately, tournaments don't last for the long run. One suckout and it can be over. So...

The idea is that you want your opponent to make a mistake by calling (or by folding). In the example hand you gave, I would bet enough on the flop to make it 'incorrect' for him to call, but hopefully he still would. Neither of us have much of our stacks invested and I'd like for the pot to get a bit larger. However, on the turn with a substantial amount in the pot, I'm looking more to take it down. There are often times when you should be satisfied with the pot as-is. If you get a called for 300 more on the turn, you're pretty much pot committed at that point anyway. Either way, all of your chips are going in. So I'd just push the turn. Now, if he wants to call, then I don't mind it because he's incorrect to do so. At the same time, if he folds, I don't mind that either because the pot is already large and I'm satisfied with the amount of action I got with my aces.