View Single Post
Old 06-23-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: I tried it, anybody like it

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (8.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">rock bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds (so far, so good), rock ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see, you posted the hand and based on my read of you that means it should read "rock folds." Do I win?

I have come to like the semi-bluff, partly as a result of reading TOP and partly as a result of a discussion from last week in SS. And one very important part of doing it successfully is picking your spots.

You're facing SB with 2 cold on the turn, and he might've been chasing a blind-special draw on the flop. Fine. But you've also got what you read as a tight-passive player limp-3-betting a raggedy flop. Your raising him on the turn doesn't change the fact that he's "passive" and, in the unlikely event that your "best explanation" is correct and he's got QQ/JJ, he'll go back into his shell but still show you down for another 2BB in what is now an 11BB pot.

So, a few questions for you, that might be answered later in the thread, which I'll read now. One, how many hands have you played against this Villan, i.e. how strong isyour "read"? Two, what's your plan if he caps the turn; if he calls the turn and leads the river; if he calls the turn and checks the river? And, three, assuming my answer to your question is correct, have you updated your read and if so to what?