View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 07:49 PM

Default QUESTION: Implied Odds

Say your in the CO with 3 players who limped. You are holding AQo and raised(not sure if this is the right play but lets assume that I made the correct move by raising). Both blinds call including the other 3 players. Total of 6 players to the Flop with the pot being 12SBs. Flop comes:

KT9r

SB checks, BB bets out, limper1 folds, limper2 folds, and limper3 check raises. You have 4 solid outs(J's) to win the 15SBs in the pot.

Now, lets assume SB folds. Is my ESP 18SBs = 9BBs. The reason how I got this number is, BB might call the raise since he is already in making the pot 16SBs. The person who raised is probably going to bet again on the Turn putting in another 2SBs on the Turn making the total pot size on the Turn 18SBs = 9BBs. Am I thinking this correctly?

I've been talking with several players regarding this situation, they argue that BB could reraise and ruin everything forcing me to put 1 more SBs in the pot. Even though he makes it 3bets, I still have to call since I am getting enough odds to chase. This would indicate BB to have a very strong hand, from a set/2 pair/top pair w/A or K kicker. With that said, ESP and Implied Odds(IOS) works perfectly if your closing the action. If you are in between both active players, you are risking yourself to get c/raised. I'm sure there are factors to this, if BB is passive then a reraise is probably less likely to happen.

Once all the betting are done on the Flop, do I recount the pot size on the Turn to calculate my ESP on the River? I'm a little confused about this part because if you call on the Flop, those bets you put into the pots are no longer yours. Since all the bets are included in the Turn round, don't you have to account everything inside the pot to consider your ESP on the River.

Let me know if I am thinking this correctly. Thanks