View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 07:10 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default 3 stories from a gambler\'s life

Good people of the forum, you are in luck tonight as I feel like telling many stories and entertaining you.

Here are 3 stories from the real life, from those remote times I used to play live poker in suspicious underground clubs.

Story 1:

One night we were playing poker, this guy came into the club. He was a BIG fish, always drunk and never got up before he had lost all the money he had on him. Only problem is that he was extremely violent and everybody was afraid of him. But even so, we all liked to play with him because if you didn't offend him he would normally behave.
Anyway, this particular time, the guy obviously needed money, because after waiting for a seat, he sat down and put a baionette (these long knifes that soldiers used to attach at their rifles) on the table next to him without saying a word and started playing.
He would get involved in every pot and begun looking at the cards in the middle of the table, chosing the ones that he wanted and showing a good hand every time announcing he had won the pot.
Nobody dared say a word or complaining. Nobody dared getting up and if you tried to play it smoothly by just folding all your hands, he would just look at you and remind you it was not very nice of you not to play when we all were having such a good time. After like 30 minutes that seemed like an eternity, he decided he had been very lucky that evening, had won enough and went away wishing us a good evening!

Story 2:

This guy was also a BIG fish, same pattern, loses all he has, borrows all he can then loses that as well until he couldn't borrow anymore.
He was involved in every pot and the moment he stepped into a club, sharks would start making phone calls to other sharks and in a few minutes there was an incredible long waiting list. Games went usually on for days when he was playing, the swings were huge as the pots he was involved in always were enormous and as he also won some of them, you would take extra risks to try to get his money before somebody else did it.
Anyway, I have always liked this guy a lot, because even if he is a lousy poker player and I, as anybody else wanted to win his money, he has always been nice to me and we have been friends for a long time.
This time, after like 18 hours of play, the guy was ahead a lot, like 20.000$ and there were like 20 sharks waiting to get a seat. I had won nicely myself, was exhausted and the game had become too wild for my taste, so I decided to quit and as I was leaving, offered my friend to give him a lift home. I didn't like much the other players and knew my fish friend usually listened to me. The rest of the players would happyly have payed a hitman to take me out that instant, lol, but even if I made it very clear that it was a good idea to quit, that he had won a great amount of money, and so on, he decided that he was on a roll and stayed.
Of course I heard a couple of days later that he had lost everything once more and had to borrow to get a cab home...

Story 3:

Late one evening (or early one morning would be more accurate) this guy had been losing a lot.
This time he was not a big fish, but he was a big guy, had spent like 10 years behind bars and was not one you wanted to get in trouble with. Some skinny guy that had been around for years and knew everybody had been winning and probably because he was drunk, begun mocking the big guy that normally was a quiet player.
After an hour of this charade, he suddenly rised, the table flew across the room and he looked very, very angry. Everybody run for life but he was blocking the only door and we just tried to stay as far away from him as possible.
He pulled a big long gun out and put it against the head of the stupid drunk guy, who suddenly becamed awared of the situation. He started yelling that he was going to shot him right there and many horrible things while his face became all red. Finally he put the gun away, grab a chair and started hitting the other guy with it. after like 5 minutes, there was blood over the whole place, an ambulance was called, the victim was taken to the hospital and he had to have 17 stitches on the back of the head.
Next day, they were both playing again at the same table at the same lousy club. I am not saying they were best of friends, but none of them could stay away, the addiction to the game was too strong.

I forgot to tell that the guy from the first story was happily losing money again a few days later. nobody ever talked about his little act.

Is there a point in these stories? My opinion is that even if you know you shouldn't do some things, you will probably end up doing them anyway, such is the life of a gambler.

How about you, do you have any stories from online poker? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]