View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Experiment with raised pots

True. And then you have to take into account all the times that he hits his gutshot for free on the turn when you check behind on the flop. But then there are all the times that you hit YOUR gutshot for free on the turn when he was going to check/raise the flop, etc. I don't think there is a definitive answer. Think about it: you are playing heads up against someone but you always have the button. Are you always going to check after you raise preflop? No, of course not. Are you always going to bet? No, of course not. You are going to mix it up based on a lot of different factors:
- Recent history with this opponent
- Number of outs that you have if you are behind
- Likelihood of opponent check/raising a worse hand
- etc
- etc
- etc

I think this is the only real answer. If your initial point was that people make continuation bets too frequently and are therefore too easily read and too easily check/raised off of their hands on the flop, then I agree. If your point was that it is optimal to check behind on the flop more frequently than it is to bet the flop, then I disagree. But not too strongly. I think HU play is just very VERY situation and opponent dependent.