View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Experiment with raised pots

1) often times they are folding even when I'm unimproved and I have the best hand.

2) yes they will call with a worse hand but if they call my turn bet then I slow down on river anyways so I get 2 streets of bets regardless of which way I go.

3) relatively uncoordinated board. if they have oesd, they will call my flop bet anyways and if scarecard comes, I have no idea whether they called my flop bet with top pair thinking I have overs or whether they called on straight draw.

4) I'm not sure how I get more info. if called what do I know? it could be a oesd, gutshot, top pair, mid pair, or set.

5) you won't play for your whole stack with overpair type hands anyways and monsters won't get paid off unless opponent also has monster.

what I gain is

1) opportunity to trap.

2) opportunity to catch free card when I have gutshot draw or oesd and raised preflop with suited connectors

3) opportunity to represent missed overs with suited connectors that hit when an A or K hits the turn.

4) controlled pot size for those instances where my opponent hits a set and I have overpair.

5) opportunity to actually hit with my missed overs for free.

6) avoid a continuation snap off from an aggressive opponent where I can't tell if its a continuation snap off or a monster like a set therefore I have to call with overpair type hands.