View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

There are so many things here to look at, and yes, you do sound unhappy. But let's focus on the positive:

- Your poker game has improved dramatically, and you're making a living playing cards. That's awesome - dude, people would KILL to make a living playing cards. Seriously. Good for you.

- You had the courage to admit to yourself that you were physically unfit, and so you went out, bought a treadmill and now run a mile a day. It's not easy to admit that to yourself - heck, as a former college soccer player, I had ballooned up to about 275 a few years ago. I finally looked myself in the mirror, broke the mirror, and started running a mile a day. At the time, it was painful and I would've rather swallowed my own vomit than run. Today, I run half-marathons and 10Ks frequently. Keep it up! The hardest thing to do is start running ... soon, if you make a point to do it EVERY SINGLE DAY, the hardest thing for you will be to NOT run every day. It's addicting, especially when you begin to see results. Here's a goal for you: Run in a community 5K event by Sept. 1. Three months is enough time to get in shape for a 5K. You can do it ... and, it will give you something to do in your new community. Speaking of which ...

- You had the courage to try something new and moved away to another town 7 hours away. Dude, that takes guts. And since it's hard to meet people, my advice is this: Get a job. Seriously. Wait tables at a restaurant for lunch. Tend bar during happy hour somewhere. Work afternoons at a movie theater. Get a 20-hour a week job at a grocery store. This will solve two of your problems:

1) You will meet people in this new town and begin to build relationships and, thus, begin having things to do other than play poker.
2) Your love of the game of poker will be restored, as now it's not the 'only' thing in your life ... and you'll know what it's like to grind it out in the real world.

In conclusion, you sound real down. But seriously, man, focus on the positive. You are a risk-taker, you have courage, and you are successful at what you do.

It's easy to get down on yourself. But think about all you've done so far, continue to set goals for yourself, and keep us posted on how things go.