View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: $200 NL, getting tricky/stupid with suited connectors.

Yeah, I miscounted his outs on the flop, assuming he has an overpair. He has five. My apologies.

I need to explain something here. This is not by any means my standard line. It's not a line I'd take knowing I was up against a 2+2 poster. But what almost nobody's acknowledging is that there are a ton of players at this level whose strongest inclination is to try to end the hand on the flop, and who will overplay these hands when faced with a goofy/confusing play like this. (I know it doesn't confuse GOOD PLAYERS.) These players will NOT necessarily read this as a set. Simple logic suggests that a set doesn't want to make it cheap to draw either, and such a player won't expect me to know precisely what he has. If I'm against a good player, I concede, the line sucks. I'm not trying to win $40 from a good player- I'm trying to stack a bad player. If I miss out on $20 worth of value in the process, big deal.
That being said, I appreciate all your comments and respect them. On reflection, maybe a bigger check-raise would have been better, but if my goal is to get it all in ON THE FLOP, I still don't think leading out, getting raised, and then reraising all-in is going to do it, and I don't want it to get to the turn and have a scare card screw with the plan.

Again, thanks for all the comments. They've been helpful.